WHAT FASHION TREND IS TODAY
As we begin the new year of 2011 and look to forecasting fashion trend for the Spring 2012 season, I am convinced that fashion trend direction is no longer declaring what THE color will be, what THE look will be, what THE length will be, or is it about prints, plaids, or stripes???
In researching 2012 trend direction over the last 90 days, I am struck with how diverse the offerings of color and theme from the trend services, and how the designer collections included something for everyone. I thought it was all quite beautiful and definitely commercial.
WHAT A TREND CONSULTANT MUST DO TODAY
It’s my job to give you the most compelling and inspiring components of the direction—the ideas, the possibilities for you to create product that will look current to your customer next year. I provide the fashion menu; it’s what you pick out of it to do that will make the difference—all based on your understanding of the customer.
- Fresh Color—it’s how you mix and combine shades from several palettes. Tender pastels, calming neutrals, washed midtones, clear floral bouquets, happy energetic brights. The thirst for more color is strong while the beauty of calm cool neutrals is everlasting.
- Approach—we are influenced by both sides of the coin—Calm, serene, nostalgic, and bright, bold, expressive. Do either of these match your customers’ style or will you capture a clever mix of both?
- Simple Style—Fabrics and details do the work. Also new cuts. Look at the item from all aspects as only a designer can do for ways and places to create a new detail.
- Revered Traditions—our own heritage with an emphasis on All American—fresh, simple, clean, or soft, rural, provincial. And, other cultures for richness in fabric, pattern, and mixes as we visit desert nomads, jungle tribes, Far East, exotic islands, the tropics and Africa.
- Eccentric and Playful—have fun and be liberated with the 70’s, YSL, Studio 54, Bianca, Halston!
MORE SPECIFICS ON COLOR AND INFLUENCES WILL FOLLOW IN THE NEXT DAYS….
YOU’RE INVITED TO ATTEND MY PRESENTATION ON SPRING 2012 FASHION TREND for women’s apparel:
Jan 10, at 12:30 p.m.
at the PRINTSOURCE SHOW
7 W. 34 St., NYC.